He was, Rahimahu Allah, Al-‘Allaamah Al-Faqeeh Abu Abdullah Muhammad Ibn Saleh Ibn Muhammad Ibn Al-Uthaymeen At-Tamimi An-Najdi. Shaykh Uthaymeen, as he was most known, was born in the city of Unayzah, Qaseem Region, Saudi Arabia, on 27th Ramadhan 1347H in a famous religious family.
His Education / Career:
He received his education from many prominent scholars like:
• Shaykh ‘Abdur-Rahmaan Ibn Naasir As-Sa’di (1307H – 1376H),
• Shaykh Muhammad Ameen Ash-Shanqeeti (1325H – 1393H), and
• Shaykh Abdul-Azeez Ibn Baz (1330H – 1420H), along with many more.
When he entered into teaching, a great number of students from inside and outside Saudi Arabia benefited from him. He had his own unique style of interpretation and explanation of religious points. He was from among those scholars who served Islaam without any type of religious prejudice and kept themselves away from the limitations of blind-following. He was distinguished in his great exertion of effort in religious matters and analogical deductions which clearly prove the religious understanding he possessed, and the correct usage of the principles of religion, he adopted.
Along with Shaykh Nasiruddin Albaani (d.1420H), Shaykh Abdul-Azeez Ibn Baz (d.1420H), and Shaykh Muqbil Ibn Haadi Al-Waadi’i (d.1422H), are the era of 1400H top Ahlus Sunnah scholars so far, although many more deserve to be mentioned in the strive for this Deen of Islam also, such as Shaykh Abdullah Ibn Abdur-Rahman Al-Jibreen, Shaykh Saeed Ibn Ali Ibn Wahf Al-Qahtaani, Shaykh Dr. Saleh Ibn Fawzan Ibn Abdullah Al-Fawzan, Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Jameel Zainoo, Shaykh Muhammad Saleh Al-Munajjid, Shaykh Saifur-Rahman Mubarakpooree, among others.
In giving religious verdicts, like Shaykh Ibn Baaz, Shaykh Uthaymeen Fataawa (i.e, rulings/verdicts) are based on the Manhaj of Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaa’ah which is evidenced from Qur’aan and Sunnah. He has about fifty compilations to his credit. Recently before his death, he was teaching religious Fundamentals at the Sharee’ah Faculty of Imam Muhammad Ibn Sa’ud Islamic University, Qaseem Branch. He was also a member of the Senior Scholars Committee of the Kingdom, and was the Imaam and Khateeb of the big Mosque of Unayzah city.
•Former member of the Council of Senior Scholars of Saudi Arabia from 1407 until his death.
• Former member of the Scholastic Council of the Muhammad Ibn Sa’ood Islaamic University.
• Former member of the council of the Sharee’ah and Usool ad Deen faculty as well as president of the ‘Aqeedah branch of the Muhammad Ibn Sa’ood Islaamic University branch in Qaseem.
• Former member of the Council of Education and Enlightenment during the Hajj season from 1392 until his death.
• Former president of the non-profit Memorization of the Noble Quraan Society in ‘Unayzah from 1405 until his death.
Among His Well-Known Works In Da’wah:
•Tafsir Ayatul Kursi.
• Sharh Riyadh Saleheen.
• Kitab ul Ilm.
• Sharh Usool Thalaathah.
• Fataawa Arkan Islam.
• Majmoo’ Fataawa on many topics of Islamic Aqeedah and Fiqh.
• A collection of Fataawa and Treatise.
• Tafseer Al Qur’aan Al Kareem.
• Gatherings in the Month of Ramadaan.
• Al Qawl Al Mufeed ‘ala Kitaab At Tawheed.
• Ash Sharh Al-Mumti’ Ala Zaadil Mustaqni’.
• The Book of Knowledge [Translated].
• Taqreeb At Tadmooriyyah.
• Exemplary Foundations Concerning the Beautiful Names and Attributes of Allaah [Translated].
• Explanation of Al Arba’een An Nawawiyyah [Translated].
• Fath Rab Al Bariyyah.
• Mukhtasar Ma’naa Al Labeeb.
• Explanation of Al ‘Aqeedah Al Waasityyah [Translated].
• Explanation of Lum’at Al ‘Itiqaad.
• Manaasik Al Hajj Wal ‘Umrah.
• Al Usool min ‘Ilm Al Usool.
• Tasheel Al Faraa’id.
• Mustalah Al Hadeeth.
• The Description of the Prophets Hajj.
• Being Balanced in Da’wah.
• Treatise on Hijaab [Translated].
• Al Manhaj li Mureed Al ‘Umrah Wal Hajj.
• The Rulings of Slaughtering.
• 48 Questions on Fasting [Translated].
• The Provisions of the Caller to Allaah.
• Difference of Opinion Amongst the Scholars and its Causes [Translated].
• 60 Questions of the Rulings of Menses.
• Chapters on Fasting, Taraweeh and Zakaah [Translated] • Minhaaj Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaa’ah.
• Wiping Over the Khufs.
• The Ruling of one who abandons the Prayer.
• Allaah’s Names and Attributes.
• ‘Aqeedat Ahlus Sunnah wal Jamaa’ah.
• A Collection of Questions related to the Family.
• Normal Blood concerning Women.
• Errors some Hujjaaj fall Into.
• Zakaat Al Hulee.
• Sujood As Sahw.
• Divine Decree.
• How does a Muslim perform Hajj and ‘Umrah.
• A Summary of Fiqh Al Faraa’id.
• Buying and Selling Gold.
• The Fundamentals of Tafseer.
• The Valuable Remembrance.
• Prohibited Statements.
• Marriage [Translated].
• Description of the Prophets Prayer.
• Essential Rights that the Fitrah Calls To.
• Co-operation between the Du’aat and its Effect on the Community.
• The Prescribed Times of Prayer.
• The Explanation of the D’ua of Qunoot Al Witr.
• From the Problems of the Youth.
• How an Ill Person Purifies Himself.
• Explanation of Saheeh Al Bukhaaree.
• Explanation of Riyaad As Saaliheen.
• Explanation of Buloogh Al Maraam.
• Explanation of Al ‘Aqeedah Al Waasitiyyah.
• Explanation of Al Ajroomiyyah.
• Explanation of Lum’at Al ‘Itiqaad.
• Explanation of Al Arba’een An Nawawiyyah.
• Explanation of Al Bayqooniyyah.
• Explanation of The Three Fundamental Principles.
• Explanation of Kashf Ash Shubuhaat.
• Explanation of Al ‘Aqeedah As Safareeniyyah.
• Explanation of Nukhbat Al Fikr.
• Explanation of Nadhm Al Waraqaat.
• Explanation of ‘Umdat Al Ahkaam.
• An Introduction to the Principles of Tafseer.
• Explanation of Alfeeyat Ibn Maalik.
• Explanation of Kitaab At Tawheed.
• Explanation of Al Fataawa Al Hamawiyyah.
Shaykh Uthaymeen was famous for his simplicity, modesty, along with exceptional mannerisms towards all those he encountered, as well as his exceptional mannerisms in approach to topics free of dogmatic arguments. He is among the pre-eminent scholars of the era after 1400H.
Shaykh Uthaymeen passed away on Wednesday 15th Shawwal, 1421H / 10th January 2001 C.E. He was buried in Makkah along with his peers among the scholars Shaykh Ibn Baz, while Shaykh Muqbil Ibn Haadi Al-Waadi’i. He was 74 years of age. May Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) have Mercy upon his soul, aameen.
The Shaykh’s official website: http://binothaimeen.net
[ source: https://firqatunaajiyah.wordpress.com ]